Friday, June 19, 2015

Shrimp Spaghetti Squash Alfredo (AIP, Paleo)



I am excited to share this recipe with you all because not only is it AIP it's also coconut free. There are lot of fantastic remakes of our favorite dishes growing up that have been made AIP, but many include coconut in some form. However, there is a large number of people on AIP or paleo that also have a sensitivity to coconut, which is why I try, when possible, to provide options to leave it out or to not use it at all.

This Shrimp Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is a creamy dish that the whole family can enjoy. The great thing about this recipe is that you can prep the spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce ahead of time and keep them in the fridge a day or two prior to the meal. This makes the actual time to prep and cook only around 10 minutes. Perfect for a week night meal!

To help sett you up to do prep ahead of the meal, I broke out the instructions into three parts: spaghetti squash, alfredo sauce, and then full meal. I also wrote down the estimated prep time for each section to help you plan. It may look a lot more complicated this way, but I promise it's not! Often, when you break down recipes this way it's easier to see what can be done ahead making week night meals a breeze!


Shrimp Spaghetti Squash Alfredo


Ingredients

  • 3 cups, roasted spaghetti squash 
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, cut in florets roughly 2 ½-3 cups
  • 1 cup of sliced onion
  • 1 teaspoon  + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ tablespoons organic palm shortening
  • ½ cup water reserved from steaming
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon gelatin
  • 1 lb peeled shrimp

Instructions


Roasted Squash (prep time: 1 hour)
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Wash spaghetti squash and prick all over with a fork.
  3. Place whole squash in preheated oven on a baking sheet for 50 min to 1 hour, or until you can easily pierce with a knife. Rotate half way.
  4. Once squash is done remove and let cool until you can handle it to cut in half, remove seeds and scoop out strands into a bowl or container if making ahead.
Alfredo Sauce (prep time: 25 mins)
  1. Fill a large pot with steamer insert 1/3 full with water and put cauliflower florets in steamer and cover.
  2. Place on stove top and turn burner on high and set timer for 20 mins.
  3. While cauliflower is cook, in a large frying pan heat 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
  4. Add onion slices to warmed pan and cook until they become translucent. When finished add to a large blender or food processor
  5. Once cauliflower is done, add florets to blender with onions.
  6. Add reserved water from pot, shortening, salt, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, ginger, and gelatin to blender.
  7. Blend until full combined and set aside or in container if making ahead
Shrimp Spaghetti Squash Alfredo (prep time: 10-12 mins)
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Add shrimp and fry until cooked, around 5-7 minutes. Stir frequently.
  3. Once shrimp is done, add alfredo sauce and spaghetti squash to pan and combine.
  4. Cook for another 3-4 mins or until everything is warmed and fully mixed together.
  5. Serve with your favorite sides. Makes 4-6 servings.




4 comments:

  1. OH I AM ALLLLLLL for this recipe, YUM! And I adore that there is NO DAIRY or grain in this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome GiGi!! Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you get a chance to try it out.

      Delete
  2. I just made it and am getting ready to eat it. I didn't add gelatin cuz I didnt have any. It taste good when I tasted it. I completely forgot my spaghetti squash so I'll just pit it over my baked chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made it and am getting ready to eat it. I didn't add gelatin cuz I didnt have any. It taste good when I tasted it. I completely forgot my spaghetti squash so I'll just pit it over my baked chicken.

    ReplyDelete